Monday, April 26, 2010

Thy Commandments Are My Delight

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:11. ESV.)


My aunt has read the bible cover to cover eight times! I have not even read it once from Genesis through to Revelations… but I would love to and have started the MacArthur Daily Bible a couple of times. (I'll be starting it again soon.)

Someone once asked me why I read from scriptures each day. "Don't you have them memorized by now?" they asked. And continued with, "Wouldn't you rather be doing something more enjoyable with your time?"

I felt sad when I heard this...but I could not quite figure out why. Was my prideful flesh offended? Today I read the following passage and my reaction to the above questions finally made sense. Psalm 119:155 says,
“Salvation is far from the wicked, for they do not seek thy statutes.”


My loved one does not understand the joy that comes with studying and living out God's word.

“This is my comfort in my affliction, that thy word gives me life” (Psalm 119:50)

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105)

“Blessed is the man…[whose] delight is in the law of the Lord, on his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:1-2)

“Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage” (Psalm 119:54)


I truly delight in digging deep into God's word. It is my goal to read it beginning to end to get a full understanding in context...and what better time than while I am waiting on the Lord?

“Is not my word like fire, says the Lord, and like a hammer which breaks the rock in pieces?” (Jeremiah 23:29; Isaiah 55:10-11).

“The word of the Lord abides forever” (1 Peter 1:25; Psalm 119:160)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails