Monday, April 05, 2010

What's Behind Door Number Three?

I've mentioned two new doors have opened in my life (in this season).

Let me begin by saying, taking up the cross and following Christ (Luke 9:23) is full of unexpected twists and turns. Need I mention those who followed God's instruction: Moses (who was placed in a basket, found by Pharaoh's daughter, raised as an Egyptian, chosen to lead God's people); Joseph (who was sold into slavery by his brothers, imprisoned for a crime he did not commit, and made governor in Egypt); David (who defeated Goliath and had to flee from Saul who wanted to kill him); Daniel (who was thrown in a lion's den); Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (who were thrown into a burning fiery furnace, walked in the midst of the fire with Jesus, and came out alive and unharmed); Jonah (who was swallowed by a huge fish); and others who had completely bizarre things happen (albeit they are Old Testament but their faith, trust, and hope were in God with their eyes firmly fixed toward heaven).

My vapor of a life is not nearly that exciting however it has some surprising moments of its own where the plot thickens…these two doors (especially the second one) are a good example of that.

Door #1:
I had heard from a friend about a homeschool group that meets once a month and most (if not all) of the ladies attend the same church. The first day my kiddos and I arrived on the scene I found the women to be very hospitable and kind. Immediately, I felt comfortable and welcomed. I could not help but be reminded of the close knit bible study group of which I was a part from about 2006 to 2008. The faces were different from those in the ladies bible study but the hearts were the same.

Not only do these sisters in Christ meet for homeschooling each month, they are also part of an AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed - 2 Timothy 2:15) program. This too was a reflection of my sisters in Christ from the 2006-2008 season of my life…(which is important to me because it is the time when God grew me, stretched, and sculpted me the most. And, to echo another sister in Christ (about the '06-'08 group), it was the first time I felt "at home" in the city I was living.)

Door #2:
The same day, right after the children and I returned from the homeschool meeting, door number two was revealed. A loved one told me there was a job opportunity and it sounded like a perfect fit for my schedule. I would still be able to educate the children in the morning but then after lunch time I would work part time and return in the evening for the kids' bedtime routine. Further, it offered the prospect for bonuses, benefits, etc. Even childcare and transportation was included (thanks to the assistance of loved ones) in this neatly wrapped package…(with a big red bow (as Wendy would say) from the Lord).

But I hesitated. I stood "staring" at the career opening wondering, "Are you sure, my King? Is this really for me?" I have to admit, I was expecting something a little more short term but this position has all the makings of a long term gig. The question that still rolls around in my mind is, "Where is all of this going?"

I thought I was going to be able to predict the outcome. What started off as a month long venture is beginning to appear more like a yearlong investment. Which, of course, I don't mind…whatever time is necessary (though to tell the truth I'm hoping it will not be 40 years like Moses)!

Friday, during bible study one of my children flipped through the bible (rather hastily I must say) and came across Psalm 103:13 and read it aloud. It says, "As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him." (ESV.) It was a reminder that made my heart meditate (and all the sweeter that it came from the mouth of my child). It encouraged me greatly. I belong to the King and He is kindhearted toward me as a parent toward a child. He blesses me richly.

2[The Lord] makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake….
5You [Lord] prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. (Psalm 23:2-3, & 5. ESV.)


And boy oh boy does my cup runneth over!!! As I look at where I have been and set my eyes on my King and what is to come, I can't help but wonder…What's behind door number three?

The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps. (Proverbs 16:9. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails