Wednesday, April 21, 2010

When the Pressure is On

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34. ESV.)


I was speaking to someone recently who asked an interesting question. He said, "What causes you the most stress in life? What causes everyone a large amount of anxiety for that matter?" The answers that filled my mind were specific. "Think broad," he encouraged, "in general." The answer was so tangible yet I just could not quite grab it. The correct response, "The unknown." No matter what the category…health, finance, employment, etc. once a solution is in sight, worry begins to ease.

This week is filled with "the unknown" for me. Clouds are looming that I just can't seem to shake. I find myself mulling over problems such as, "How am I going to pay for this? How is that ever going to work out?" Deadlines are approaching and I without the means. Sweat is beginning to bead on my brow, as doors remain closed despite my constant knocking. Then one opens only to quickly close again.

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:34. ESV.)


How thankful I am to have an all knowing God in my corner. And this is a prime example of a moment when I need to take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5) and start preaching to myself instead of listening to myself.
"Brook! Quit your darn whining! Go sit your butt down at the foot of the throne and commune with your King. You have that great privilege now use it!"


God never promised anything would be easy…but He did say His grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9). However, it only covers real life things not my thoughts.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
3For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." (Isaiah 43:1-3. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails