Monday, May 24, 2010

The Bitter Taste of Failure

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28. ESV.)


I do not know about anyone else but I have to preach this to myself consistently whenever I am blindsided and taken off guard…especially if it is negative. I have a difficult time understanding an event in my life when I think things are going one way only to find I was seriously mistaken…when I have given my best effort (even to the point of double checking my actions and asking feedback from others) only to find things were not as they seemed and my personal best was not good enough.

Blindsides do happen…whether they are intentional or accidental. I hold firm to the belief all things happen for a reason…whether they are seemingly pleasant or unpleasant.

The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. (Job 1:21. ESV.)


I echo Job in praising the Lord even though this is a time of confusion. I sit and wonder, "Lord, what in the world are you doing?" but I also know whatever it is, is going to be more beautiful and awesome than I can imagine in my limited thoughts.

In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. (Psalm 86:7.)

The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe. (Proverbs 18:10.)


I know that "every good and perfect gift is from above" (James 1:17). Even this...even that from last season. I say without hesitation, resentment, or doubt, "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in His word I hope." (Psalm 130:5. ESV.). Though my flesh stings as if I have failed, I find peace in God's sovereignty each and every season however long or short.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails