Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hope Again

After numerous times of placing hope in someone (or something) only to be let down (each and every time) poses an immense problem. How does one continue to hold to hope? Now, in my opinion, hope and trust work very closely together. (And perhaps it is safe to say, one encourages the other.)

To give a demonstration of this I am going to use the example of pregnancy. It is not uncommon to hear of couples that have tried for years to conceive yet to no avail. They go various routes and attempt numerous things yet nothing seems to work. Each month is filled with anticipation and then disappointment. Perhaps the question, "Why bother?" creeps into the mind of one party or the other (or even both).

I feel being disappointed comes in many shapes and sizes…whether it is while trying to have children, get or keep a job, get out of debt, recovery (from an illness or injury), trusting a boss or loved one who is abusive, believing a loved one who struggles with alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc…. and so forth.

So, when meditating on this question about hope I looked to Psalm 42 which says,
"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation 6and my God."


There it is, the answer, right there! HOPE IN GOD! For it is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man (Psalm 118:8).

When I place my faith and expectations upon things of this world (i.e. man, the flesh, etc.) I am going to get discouraged. Man is not my Holy Spirit nor am I his/hers. (Not to mention all things are [God's] servants (Psalm 119:91).) I must be wise as serpents and innocent as doves (Matthew 10:16) when dealing with the things of this world. As far as God goes,
"We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28. ESV.)
In that, I have hope.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails