Friday, May 28, 2010

Oahu, Hawaii: 1998

After visiting a couple blogs this morning I find myself in a nostalgic state of mind. I was blessed with the opportunity to visit Oahu, Hawaii in September of 1998. The trip did not play out as I had expected or hoped...(I was very young and naive in 1998 and when I left Hawaii it was with a broken heart)...but I savor the memory of Oahu which was amazing!

(I took a lot of video while there but not many pictures (which are in storage anyway) so I had to depend on the internet for great photos to illustrate that about which I am writing. Click on each picture for information about the photographer and copyright.)





When I think of Hawaii, I believe it to be one of the most romantic places in the United States. Where light, spontaneous showers of rain fall as if straight from heaven (without a visible cloud in the sky) and last only a moment...to bless, not to drench. (Rainbows too are evidently just as random...appearing at a moment's notice.)

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13. ESV.)




As I stood on the beach (near the city of Honolulu), with the sand between my toes and the setting sun painting the sky, I gazed at “Diamond Head” in the distance. My heart was full of love and a dream for the future. It’s no wonder people love Hawaii as a honeymoon destination. It certainly does not disappoint! With the view, environment, luau, and overall splendor it is nothing short of mesmerizing.











Nestled within the Punchbowl crater sits the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. The wind whipped through my hair as I drove my small, blue, rental jeep along the road that wound around the outskirts of the Punchbowl before reaching the National Memorial Cemetery at its heart.



Emotions ran deep at the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Standing on the structure over the sunken U.S.S. Arizona, which is the final resting place for so many brave sailors, was as though all the oxygen had been sucked out of the air. The ship lingers like a ghost seemingly right below the surface. And trying to grasp the weight of that day in 1941 was, for me, beyond reach.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5. ESV.)








Whatever the reason for visiting (or living) on the island of Oahu, whether it is scuba diving, surfing, studying history, being stationed at Schofield Barracks, or consummating a marriage, it is my opinion a person can count on being absolutely captivated.

For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. (Romans 1:20. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails