Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bible Time for Kids

When I first started bible study with my younger children I was not quite sure where to begin. Thankfully there are some fantastic resources for parents out there. My personal favorites are:

"Children Desiring God" by John Piper's Desiring God Ministries

"Plants Grown Up: Projects for Sons on the Road to Manhood" by Doorposts

"Polished Cornerstones: Projects for Daughters on the Path to Womanhood" by Doorposts

In the "Plants Grown Up" spiral-bound book there is a check list that I copied for each of my children. Using it, they have an outline of what their bible time should look like including: time in God's word, communing with God at the foot of the throne, memory verses, and projects outlined in the "Plants Grown Up" guide.

Once they had an idea of what study time should consist of, they were able to fine tune it to what was going to work best for them in their pursuit of a relationship with God and His precious Son, Christ Jesus, and studying scripture. Generally, their time with God looks something like this:

* Reading out of God's word and a discussion on their comprehension of the gospel.
* Drawing and/or coloring a picture of what they read or a memory verse.
* Reciting, reviewing, and learning memory verses.
* Prayer

Sometimes they have study guides and other memory verses from Sunday School, VBS (Vacation Bible School), AWANA (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed (2 Timothy 2:15)), etc. which we work on during this time too, to switch it up a bit and give them additional fun activities, games, and projects. And, thankfully this time is met with enthusiasm and not legalistic notions!

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it
. (Isaiah 55:10-11. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails