Saturday, July 10, 2010

If We Walk in the Light, We Have Fellowship with One Another

Yesterday I went back to reading THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE by Stormie Omartian. I had started this book months ago, got over halfway through it, but then put it down. I'm not sure why but I do know God's timing is PERFECT and perhaps I was given pages 13-126 earlier this year because then is when I needed its encouragement and now is when pages 127-203 will inspire me the most.

Today's reading included how important it is for married couples to have godly friends. I am so thankful to have close, mature sisters in Christ with whom I can fellowship and from whom I can seek wise, biblical counsel. Sadly, my husband and I AS A COUPLE do not.

Omartian states,
"Every married couple should have at least two strong believing couples with whom they can share encouragement, strength, and the richness of their lives. Being around such people is edifying, enriching, balancing, and fulfilling, and it helps us keep perspective when things seem to grow out of proportion....Being good friends with people who love the Lord doesn't just happen by chance. We must pray that such people will come into our lives....We should also pray the bad influences away....our closest, most influential relationships should be with people who know and love the Lord, or there will be consequences ....(Proverbs 12:26). That's why it's very important to have a church home where it's possible to meet the kind of people you need." (pgs 131 and 132.)


For many years I have 1) been blessed with wonderful relationships, 2) been praying for the relationships in the life of my husband (that he may be as fortunate as I), and 3) that we may be given knowledgeable, unwavering godly couples for fellowship (and support when needed). I know my King is faithful to provide.

Some of God's word from the chapter:

Whoever rebukes a man will afterward find more favor
than he who flatters with his tongue
. (Proverbs 28:23. ESV.)

God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."

But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. (1 John 2:11. ESV.)

Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; (Romans 14:10. ESV.)

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:44. ESV.)

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:24-25. ESV.)

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails