Friday, July 30, 2010

The Lord is My Teacher

Alright, I have already mentioned God is my Provider (many times), the Lord is my Banner, Jesus is my Way, but a concept that has been buzzing around my head for over a year now (and especially in this past week) is how God is my teacher.

Like God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as the trinity, I feel God as the instructor is quite a challenge to wrap my head around...mainly because He is omniscient and I, of course, am not. In other words, He is all knowing about everyone and everything from before the foundations of the earth and into an eternity. This has posed a problem for me because I used to have a habit of putting God inside a box and limiting Him to my own restricted thinking capabilities...until He showed me He has no boundaries.

When I was in school, Science was my favorite class (not necessarily my most loved subject) but definitely the time of day during my studies to which I looked forward. This was mainly because I got to do "labs" (i.e. dissections, basic experiments, etc.). Now, as a teacher both in my home and in the field of dance, I have learned people have a preference when it comes to acquiring information and/or skills. I am more hands on, however some appear more visual, auditory, and/or prefer reading/writing to master comprehension. I feel, the same can be said when it comes to God's training and discipline. Several individuals gain knowledge from studying scripture. Others from listening to messages from their pastor. And there is also the group that finds things out best "the hard way".

So, is God's teaching the same for everyone? In my opinion, no. The principles remain identical and in the context of His written word, however the education of each man/woman/child is catered to his/her specific NEEDS (not wants or partiality)...kind of like long division. There is only one answer and the framework remains however the means of getting the answer may differ from one learner to the next.

In the bible, God used all kinds of ways to test, edify, and save His people. From uncommon means such as closing the mouths of lions (Daniel); allowing believers to walk through fire unharmed (Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego when Nebuchadnezzar threw them into a furnace); striking down those who brutally persecuted Christians (Saul...who was later known as Paul); or the underdog slaying the tyrant (David and Goliath)... to the more frequent ways like when God revealed His plan to His servant (Noah) and required obedience despite the mocking of man.

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. (Psalm 118:8. ESV.)


Or when God notified David (through Saul's son, Jonathan) that Saul had it in his mind to kill David. After David fled for his life and hid, God gave Saul straight into David's hands and David spared Saul's life.

And, when the Israelites cried out to God He did not leave them to suffer and die at the hands of Pharaoh, He brought them out of Egypt using His servant Moses.

Each time I dare to think I have God figured out, I dig into His word a little deeper. God is omniscient and omnipresent, He is loving yet just, and He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

"Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty,
who was and is and is to come!
" (Revelation 4:8. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails