Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Those who possess the (spiritual) gift of prayer are so amazing to me. I know all believers are filled with the Holy Spirit who intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words (Romans 8:26). But here, I am talking about people who get so immersed into prayer it is awe inspiring.

Friday, there was a prayer/worship service at the local Sovereign Grace church plant. Two of my loved ones and I decided to attend. And boy were we blessed that we did...(even though we were only able to stay for about 45 minutes to an hour because I had to pick up two of my kiddos from VBS (vacation bible school).

Moments before we went I was commenting to my loved one how I miss singing hymns at family worship services. When we arrived at the church, the worship team was leading the attendees in "How Great Thou Art". (That should have been a clue to me as to how this hour was going to pan out!)

We staked out or spot on house left (that's theater talk by the way meaning we sat on the left side of the congregation) and when asked to divide up into small groups of four or five for prayer, we joined a very lovely lady who (as God would have it) was there by herself. And let me just tell you what a rich, righteous breath of fresh air (of which we just could not get enough) she was.

She was so engrossed in communing with our King that at times it felt as though God the Holy Spirit Himself was sitting right there next to me. It was so comforting. Both me and one of my loved ones found ourselves overcome with eyes filled to the brim (and overflowing) with tears as if being calmed and rocked by a loving parent. And as this dear woman prayed, the words from MY own heart came pouring out of HER mouth as if she felt the pain of my tribulation. Her expressions so specific I waited with bated breath half expecting a particular soul to be mentioned. A detail of my own trial (one with which I struggle terribly and on which I get judged, by man) she DID mention, actually! Immediately, I was once again filled with peace (that God is making everything abundantly clear) and the knowledge I am doing the right thing! As I am not living in sin in any way, shape, or form (which is why I get so hurt and confused by man's judgment of me)...just outside the box.

I was once a "dead man (human) walking"...as were/are we all. But by the indescribable grace of God and the blood of the lamb, my debt was paid in full and I am no longer a dead wretch but rather the recipient of everlasting life (Romans 6:23) (with a remaining sentence in the prison of the flesh). Praise God! But I do have a "dead man" who is exceptionally close to my heart who is in dire need of prayer and the realization of needing a Savior. So, if you (like the sister in Christ I mentioned) are gifted in the department of prayer (unlike me), would you please bring my "dead man" to the foot of the throne so that God will lead this soul by the hand to the foot of the cross?!

Yes, Lord, I am begging Your bride to rally for this soul because it (and every soul, of course) is so important (John 3:16)! With each fleeting day this soul draws ever nearer to an eternity without salvation! Time is of the essence (though ultimately Father, I know beyond a single doubt Your timing is perfect).

And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this:

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread, 12 and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses
. (Matthew 6:7-15. ESV.)


Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails