Tuesday, July 13, 2010

We Are the Church

I have been combing the internet searching for the lyrics and (if possible) a video of a song that recently popped into my mind. It is one I learned as a child (in church) and the tune is still fresh in my brain. Some of the words on the other hand have escaped me or morphed into something incorrect (as children sometimes tend to do when something is not completely understood). Anyway, after much looking I was only moderately successful in my endeavor.

I am not sure if these lyrics are completely accurate (as I have not been able to find much online and do not have a hymnal in my possession) though they sound correct:

"We Are the Church"
by Richard K. Avery and Donald S. Marsh, 1972

Chorus:
I am the Church,
you are the Church,
we are the Church together.
All who follow Jesus
all around the world,
yes, we’re the Church together.


First Stanza:
The church is not a building,
the church is not a steeple,
the church is not a resting place,
the church is a people.


(Chorus)

Second Stanza:
We're many kinds of people,
with many kinds of faces,
all colors and all ages, too,
from all times and places.


(Chorus)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails