Thursday, July 08, 2010

When Children Suffer

Tribulation (in my opinion) is incredibly difficult . But what makes it even harder is when children are involved. How resilient are they really?

(Being this is a topic that is quick to stir up emotions and perhaps even strife I want to keep my words soft (Proverbs 15:1) and progress lightly.)

Trials come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. They span across physical, mental, and emotional planes, exercise minimal restraint, and provoke strong feelings including (but not limited to) sadness, anger, and/or confusion.

When my kiddos display these behaviors, sometimes words escape me. I pray for wisdom (for me) and peace (for the youngsters) that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7). I seek the ability to explain to them #1 I have very little to zero control over the situation and #2 I cannot foresee the future.

Questions regarding how I can best assist my young ones swirl about in my mind and yet I already know the answers...which are #1 God's grace, #2 God's word, and #3 prayer.

God's Grace
I feel 2 Corinthians 12:9 says it perfectly:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (ESV.)


God's Word
All the answers are right there in scripture.

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:11. ESV.)


Prayer
Because of Christ I have the unbelievable privilege to commune with my King. I can sit at the foot of His throne whenever and however long I desire.

The LORD has heard my plea;
the LORD accepts my prayer
. (Psalm 6:9. ESV.)

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7. ESV.)

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27. ESV.)

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33. ESV.)

for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7. ESV.)

Cast your burden on the LORD,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved
. (Psalm 55:22. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails