Monday, August 23, 2010

Confined by the Flesh

I'm sure I am not alone in my frustration with the flesh. Though I have (and continue to) "store up [God's] word in my heart, that I might not sin against" Him (Psalm 119:11) the flesh still likes to challenge me. How did Jesus do it? Yes, He was the Son of God but while walking on earth He too was restricted by the flesh. Did He have incredible (yet attainable) self control or was he enabled by the Holy Spirit?

While reading EXPERIENCING GOD (Blackaby, Blackaby, and King) the authors give an example of a lovely lady who had a passion for ministering to those in the hospital but despite her best efforts only ended up offending or upsetting them. Come to find out though she was not very good at comforting individuals, she was fantastic at praying for them. With empowerment from the Holy Spirit, interceding on the behalf of others was a task she could complete with flying colors!

I can definitely relate to this, as I have/had desires of the heart that just were not God's will for me, and I have seen it happen with people around me as well. A former bible study leader of mine once painted this visual for us that I feel goes well with this topic. (Thanks, Kristin.) She talked about how one might spend the entire day cleaning and organizing the hall closet only to hear the Lord say, "That's great you did that but I asked you to tidy up the kitchen."

While the Lord has me waiting on Him I seem to be coming up with all kinds of things I would like to be doing...adoption, missions, participating as a chaperon (offering encouragement and guidance) in a youth group, being an advocate, etc. But for now I write and teach dance at a Christian dance studio...(both for which I am thankful and bring me great joy in serving the Lord while I abide in Him).

For the LORD loves justice;
he will not forsake his saints.
They are preserved forever,
but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land
and dwell upon it forever.

30 The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,
and his tongue speaks justice.
31 The law of his God is in his heart;
his steps do not slip.

32 The wicked watches for the righteous
and seeks to put him to death.
33 The LORD will not abandon him to his power
or let him be condemned when he is brought to trial.

34 Wait for the LORD and keep his way,
and he will exalt you to inherit the land;
you will look on when the wicked are cut off
. (Psalm 37:28-34. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails