Monday, August 30, 2010

Let Us Not Grow Weary: Part Two

It Is Not Me Who Lives But Christ Within Me

Who am I to give advice or tell someone what to do? The way God moves my heart or directs my steps is most likely not the way He orchestrates the thoughts or paths of others. What God has provided for me are not necessarily the needs of another. Walking in my own shoes takes a lot of concentration, commitment, and learning to stay focused on God, not on self, and mindful of the flesh. Thankfully, God has given the Holy Spirit:

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."…

"All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
(John 14:15-21, 25-27. ESV.)


And I am not the Holy Spirit of somebody else...and no man is mine.

The Character and Word of God

Using the tribulation (mentioned in part one) and after He gave me the Holy Spirit, God guided my heart in understanding His character and the gospel.

Instead of only focusing on parts of scripture individually, I have to consider all that is written collectively. For example, the bible says to not judge others. It also states: #1 Each is given a measure of faith according to the purpose God has for him or her (Romans 12:3, 1 Corinthians 7:17), #2 God has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills (Romans 9:14-24), #3 Believers are to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves (Matthew 10:16), #4 It is foolish to hang out with a bad crowd (1 Corinthians 15:33), #5 Do not deliver a person who struggles with wrath because you will only have to do it again (Proverbs 19:19), #6 Only God can see hearts (1 Samuel 16:7, Romans 8:27, 1 Chronicles 28:9, Proverbs 15:11;17:3, Jeremiah 17:10, Luke 16:15).

It is my opinion each response from a believer to a situation is case specific given the details and matters of the heart. And, of course,
"It is better to take refuge in the Lord that to trust in man." (Psalm 118:8. ESV.)

Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. 3Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. (Matthew 7:1-5. ESV.)

So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

13 "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
(Matthew 7:12-14. ESV.)


To be continued...
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails