Thursday, September 09, 2010

Set a King Over Us

Now Samuel called the people together to the LORD at Mizpah. 18 And he said to the people of Israel, "Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, 'I brought up Israel out of Egypt, and I delivered you from the hand of the Egyptians and from the hand of all the kingdoms that were oppressing you.' 19 But today you have rejected your God, who saves you from all your calamities and your distresses, and you have said to him, 'Set a king over us.' Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes and by your thousands." (1 Samuel 10:17-19. ESV.)


I feel this piece of scripture gives me a glimpse into what God meant when He said, "...for I the LORD your God am a jealous God."

Further, Psalm 118:8 also springs to mind which states, "It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man."

It sounds to me as though God was quite offended by the request for a king. But who is man to think human beings can govern (or anything else for that matter) better than God?

"Hence that dread and amazement with which, as scripture uniformly relates, holy men were struck and overwhelmed whenever they beheld the presence of God...Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God." J. Calvin


However, I understand why Samuel was pressured to intercede on behalf of the people and beseech God for a king. I too have a habit of looking to man first when I should go straight to the foot of the throne. I am swift to consult attorneys for legal counsel, psychologists for matters of the mind, and pastors for biblical guidance. What I fail to immediately grasp (in the moment) is because of Christ Jesus there is the opportunity and great privilege to commune with God (King above all kings, Mighty Counselor, Great Physician) directly. Worldly speaking, I cannot even stand before the President of the United States, king or queen of another country, or Dalai Lama with every single question, concern, and/or grievance I have. In fact, I would not get very far if I attempted to walk up to the door of the white house and ring the bell for a meeting with the president to discuss the matters of my heart. Infact, I would probably be black listed. :)

On the other hand, God has made Himself available to me 24/7/365. He speaks ever so gently to my heart and guides my steps (Proverbs 16:9). I know it is His purpose that will stand (Proverbs 19:21). I only have to stay focused on the cross and be obedient. Or, as someone dear to my heart told me...all we have to do is be faithful and God will take care of the rest. Praise God!

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe." (Proverbs 18:10. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails