Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Good Shepherd's Sheep Hear His Voice

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, (John 10:14. ESV.)


Have you ever been drawn toward someone or something but unable to really pinpoint why? Or perhaps experienced the opposite... by feeling uncomfortable or "rubbed the wrong way" yet a reason does not present itself on the surface?

I can honestly say I have witnessed both. For example, in 2006 I had a teacher who introduced me to the messages of a pastor I still really enjoy today. His words strike a chord with me.

Other times I have been listening to a lesson from a different presenter and felt unsettled and as though I wanted to come out of my skin. Yet, what was not resonating with me?

A loved one stated having a similar occurrence. While at an event, this individual heard a man of God speak that raised the question, "Who is that and what congregation does he lead?" My loved one felt called to join his flock. Somewhere inside his words he heard the Good Shepherd.

And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. (John 10:16. ESV.)


It seems there is a reaction that takes place like when two magnetic poles are placed near each other... they either attract or repel. I have also found this to be true in people who claim Christ.

In his book SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY, author Wayne Grudem raises the point,
"It should not surprise us that the early church should have been able to recognize Hebrews and other writings, not written by apostles, as God's very words. Had not Jesus said "My sheep hear my voice" (John 10:27)? It should not be thought impossible or unlikely, therefore, that the early church would be able to use a combination of factors, including apostolic endorsement, consistency with the rest of Scripture, and the perception of a writing as "God-breathed" on the part of an overwhelming majority of believers, to decide that a writing was in fact God's words (through a human author) and therefore worthy of inclusion in the canon. Nor should it be thought unlikely that the church would be able to use this process over a period of time - as writings were circulated to various parts of the early church - and finally to come to a completely correct decision without excluding any writings that were in fact "God-breathed" and without including any that were not." (p. 63 & 64)


What a relief and a merciful blessing that God has not only given us the Holy Spirit but has also wired man to be able to recognize His "voice" through the verbal and/or written words of those who follow Him and lead others (i.e. pastors and teachers). Praise God!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails