Tuesday, October 26, 2010

They Suppress the Truth

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (Romans 1:18. ESV.)


I am currently addicted to a science "drama" on television about a forensic anthropologist. (This is unusual because I generally do not watch t.v.) With that said, the particular episode about which I am speaking included a claim that the bible is "a work of fiction". And it got me thinking.

I believe author Wayne Grudem makes an excellent point when he states,
"Some people deny that they have an inner sense of God. But their awareness of God will often make itself evident in a time of personal crisis, when deep-seated convictions of the heart show themselves in outward words and deeds." (SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY. © 1994. Zondervan. Grand Rapids, MI. p.141)
He gives a personal experience as an example however I knew exactly the "deep-seated convictions of the heart in a time of personal crisis" about which he was referring. I have seen (or heard about) it before. Who does a person call upon when it is a matter of life and death? And why? Grudem explains,
"All persons everywhere have a deep, inner sense that God exists, that they are his creatures, and that he is their Creator." (p.141)


God's word says,
For the wicked boasts of the desires of his soul,
and the one greedy for gain curses and renounces the LORD.
4 In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him;
all his thoughts are, "There is no God."
(Psalm 10:3-4. ESV.)


So, when someone claims, "There is no God," will it help if I argue, quote scripture, or insist I am correct and the other person is wrong? Will they be converted if I tell them what the scriptures say about unbelief and the consequences of sin? Will I win him or her over with words that might offend?

And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. (Romans 1:28. ESV.)

Though they know God’s decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (Romans 1:32. ESV.)


Strong words.

God's word does not return void however the bottom line is, I am not the Holy Spirit... nor do I want that job position. I cannot make eyes see or ears hear. I cannot change hearts. I trust God does ALL THINGS for the good of those who love Him (which is a very unpopular sentiment with individuals who are suffering. I understand that and do not say such a statement flippantly. I weep with those who are hurting and/or mourning just as others do with me.) Following WHY God does what He does is extremely difficult (if not impossible) however I must accept it, regardless. I cannot undo what He has done. Yet, I feel no matter what it is, it is NOT for nothing!

Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised,
and his greatness is unsearchable.
(Psalm 145:3. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails