Find us on Google+ Matthew 5:6 (for women): When the Pain of Remaining the Same is Greater Than the Pain of Changing

Monday, October 11, 2010

When the Pain of Remaining the Same is Greater Than the Pain of Changing

I was reading a post by Nancy Leigh DeMoss over at Tim Challies' blog when I came across the following. DeMoss stated,
"Spiritual change requires desire. We must ask ourselves: Do I really want to change, or am I content to remain as I am? How important is it to me to be like Jesus? What price am I willing to pay to be godly?"


I could not help but think of another quote that goes something like this,
"Change occurs when the pain of remaining the same is greater than the pain of changing." (I'm not sure who to credit for the quote though.)


Each time I read Ms. DeMoss' statement I think of a number of things:

#1. Sometimes, I find standing up for following Christ Jesus can be quite the challenge... especially if another person becomes offended. I never intend to hurt or anger other individuals but now and then have received some unkind words in return for making a request or setting a personal limit. Though it is my desire to be like Christ, it may not be the same for others and there are a few who do not appreciate me setting boundaries.

#2. I want to be the absolute BEST version of me possible. This often times requires change as I learn and assess ways I may have behaved or things I have done in the past (i.e. foolishness) that I prefer not to repeat. This comes at a price every so often because on occasion a friend or loved one may not want me to alter various things... former customs, outlook, goals, etc. In short, acquaintances and family members notice the taking off of the old and putting on of the new yet do not always support, favor, agree, or encourage it.

DeMoss goes on to say,
"When our desire to be holy is greater than our willingness to stay where we are, we have taken a big step toward spiritual transformation."


Her lovely post addresses transformation within ourselves as opposed to what I am discussing here (more of a sustaining of that conversion when faced with uncomfortable resistance.)

God's word tells us,
"Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2. ESV.)

Amados, ahora somos hijos de Dios ahora, y lo que se no ha aparecido todavía, pero sabemos que cuando él se manifieste, seremos semejantes a El porque le veremos tal cual es. (1 Juan 3:2. ESV).

親愛的,我們是神的兒女了,我們會還沒有出現,但我們知道,當他顯現,我們必要像他,因為我們將看到他,因為他是。 (約翰一書 3:2。ESV的。)

Bien-aimés, nous sommes maintenant enfants de Dieu, et ce que nous serons n'a pas encore paru, mais nous savons que quand il semble que nous serons semblables à lui, parce que nous le verrons tel qu'il est. (1 Jean 3:2. ESV.)

Carissimi, noi siamo figli di Dio ora, e ciò che saremo non è ancora apparso, ma sappiamo che quando egli apparirà, noi saremo simili a lui, perché lo vedremo così come egli è. (1 Giovanni 3:02. ESV).

愛しき人よ、私たちは、今、神の子である私たちがされますまだ登場していないが、彼は、我々は彼を参照してくださいしなければならないので、我々は、彼が表示されたら、我々は彼のようにしなければならないことを知っています。 (1ヨハネ3:2。ESVは。)

Возлюбленные, мы теперь дети Божии, и что мы будем еще не появились, но мы знаем, что, когда он откроется, будем подобны Ему, потому что увидим Его, как Он есть. (1 Иоанна 3:02. ESV).
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails