Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Let Your Speech Always be Gracious, Seasoned with Salt, so that You May Know How You Ought to Answer Each Person

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. (Colossians 3:16. ESV.)


I am blessed to have in my life an utterly amazing woman who (in my opinion) can "rebuke" and "admonish" with grace and humility. Not only that, she also speaks with unbelievers and shares her heart in a way that truly brings God glory. She tells about her love of God and His Son in such a way I have not once seen anyone become defensive (nor offensive) toward her.

But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine….Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled….Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. (Titus 2:1, 3-5, 7-8. ESV.)


One year ago I was in a season of my life where I NEEDED an "older woman" to set a good example before me and to "teach" me "what accords with sound doctrine". I felt God leading my heart and I desired a companion, a beautiful lady to lead me in prayer and obedience to God's instruction. She had to be compassionate yet firm in scripture to encourage me in unwavering faith in God (and Christ Jesus) alone instead of trusting in man (Psalm 118:8). She had to be one who dug deep into the crevices of God's word, where others were afraid to go, every single day so as to be able to speak wisdom without hesitation. (I ask a lot of questions.) She had to be a daughter of the King who can purely stand before God with a clear conscience. Not to mention a radiant beacon of light in a world where darkness is revered and sin rules.

Light has no boundaries. There is no depth it cannot penetrate.

As God would have it, He had someone in mind for me. The perfect candidate! And, He was literally going to deliver her straight to my door.

Late one evening the phone rang. It was my aunt. A gorgeous follower of Christ filled to the brim with empathy toward others and a servant's heart. A sweet, kind lady (overflowing with joy in the Lord) who has a very thorough understanding of what it means to be filled with the Holy Spirit. As it turned out she and my uncle had been vacationing at the beach and while they were away bad weather hit their hometown and they were snowed out! We were delighted to have them with us starting the very next day!

During the following week (which included the celebration of our Savior's birth) I was appreciative to have the fellowship of a remarkable, faithful person who can intercede in prayer (and discuss God’s word) like nobody’s business!

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." (Matthew 18:20. ESV.)


There was peace with a fellow pilgrim who emanates the Holy Spirit like a sweet fragrance. The sin of pride far from her lips and being.

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. (2 Corinthians 2:14. ESV.)

And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:2. ESV.)


And, she taught me what it means to pray properly. Thank you, Aunt D. for glorifying God and walking with me though only for a brief time. I wish we could have the company of each other more often. I love you very much and look forward to an eternity with you worshipping our King.

but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, (1 Peter 3:15. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails