Thursday, November 18, 2010

Living Without Sin: Let Me Show You How It's Done

Ha! Yeah, right! And lightning is going to strike me down at any moment. (Everyone around me should clear the area.)

Actually, I have to echo Saul in saying "I am the foremost of sinners." (1 Timothy 1:15… not that I have ever committed murder. I mean it differently.) Anyone who knows me gets to watch me stumble more than anything else.

I desire to be a Proverbs 31 wife with all my heart but realistically I come in below the mark... (okay, probably quite a bit short of the bar). Aside from my "blind spots" and a big ol' log in my eye, I struggle with pride (in one form or another) regularly. I find it hard to rise before the sun does (Proverbs 31:15). Preparing creative, "home cooked" meals (especially from scratch) is a huge challenge for me. Staying on top of the cleaning and laundry escapes me at times and I do believe (in short) it is fair to say I am not a domestic diva...at all. Not to mention I wrestle with quite a few "respectable sins" like frustration, discontentment, anxiety, etc.

But, I am important! (And, no that is not my pride kicking up again.) I feel Wayne Grudem says it well when he states,
"...[S]cripture tells us that we were created to glorify God, indicating that we are important to God himself. This is the final definition of genuine importance or significance to our lives: If we are truly important to God for all eternity, then what greater measure of importance or significance could we want?...

"Fullness of joy is found in knowing God and delighting in the excellence of his character. To be in his presence, to enjoy fellowship with him, is a greater blessing than anything that can be imagined." (SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY. © 1994. Zondervan. Grand Rapids, MI. Pg. 441)


As John Piper would say, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him."

Further, I am no longer a wretch in God's sight. I am beautiful because of what Christ Jesus did for all of us! God promises in His word to finish every good work He starts no matter who it is or what they have done in the past.

Made in the Likeness of God

Grudem states,
…[S]ince man has sinned, he is certainly not as fully like God as he was before. His moral purity has been lost and his sinful character certainly does not reflect God’s holiness. His intellect is corrupted by falsehood and misunderstanding; his speech no longer continually glorifies God; his relationships are often governed by selfishness rather than love, and so forth. Though man is still in the image of God, in every aspect of life some parts of that image have been distorted or lost. In short, ‘God made man upright, but they have sought out many devices’ (Eccl. 7:29). After the fall, then, we are still in God’s image – we are still like God and we still represent God – but the image of God in us is distorted; we are less fully like God than we were before the entrance of sin.” (SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY. © 1994. Zondervan. Grand Rapids, MI. Pg. 444.)


But something of which I was reminded is every day, as I study and dig deep in God’s word, I become more like Him and Christ Jesus (the earthly version of God – Col. 1:15)!

Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.
(1 Corinthians 15:49. ESV.)

(Photo by: Uschi Hering)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails