Monday, November 29, 2010

Man Looks on the Outward Appearance, but the Lord Looks on the Heart (Part 1)

Regardless of my intentions, God knows my heart. I cannot help but wonder why the saying is, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

"We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord…
And we pray that our unity will one day be restored
We will work with each other, we will work side by side…

“And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love…



The above quote was taken from one of my favorite songs performed by Jars of Clay (I’m not sure who the original artist was.) called “They Will Know We Are Christians by Our Love”. My older kiddos used to love it too when they were little. And, if memory serves me well, we might have even sung it in youth group back when I was in high school. (Which might explain why I favor it so much.)

I am so thankful for many things! I am grateful beyond measure for God's protection and provisions for me and my family! I give thanks for the roof over our heads, food that fills our bellies three (plus) times a day, for a lovely wardrobe of clothing for each of us, and for luxury items which are the extras we do not NEED but want to some degree or another.

And, on a deeper level (rather than just scratching the surface) I appreciate relationships and the body of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23---the church/the bride)! I feel God knows how much humans desire companionship (Genesis 2:18-22) and gave us each other to love (1 Corinthians 13), encourage (1 Timothy 5:1-2), admonish, rebuke (Matthew 18--- if appropriate and absolutely necessary), and to fellowship (Matthew 18:20). Trying to navigate this world (and pilgrimage) is like attempting to function without a part of the body (1 Corinthians 12:12-31) (i.e. an eye, a hand, or a leg)... doable but a difficult challenge.

To be continued...



(Photo by: yasin öztürk)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails