Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Sudden Death: For You are a Mist That Appears for a Little Time and Then Vanishes

"O LORD, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
(Psalm 39:4. ESV.)


When it comes to eternity, I know this life is like a vapor or mist. But, the sudden loss of a life that has touched my own makes the reality of James 4:14 stark in contrast to everything else. It stands out like a neon sign or hits me like a mallot, difficult to miss. It causes me to stop and meditate on what is important and what is just foolishness.

On the evening of Tuesday, December 22, 2010, a teen lost her life in a car accident. She was known by our family and a friend to one of the adolescents in my home. I had met her parents. My husband had taken the young adults to various places where they enjoyed to hang out. She was not just a name we heard often... she was someone who had an impact on our lives. And, in the blink of an eye, she was gone from this world, forever.

I laid awake in bed the night I found out about this death. The waves that rocked me were like those of an after shock post earthquake... ripples of uneasiness... discomfort. How easily that could have been one of the children from my own household. An unsuspecting individual, seemingly in the wrong place at the wrong time. A divine appointment no one could have predicted. Words left unspoken. An argument unresolved. A future that would never be claimed.

But God is still on the throne.

Below are the video and lyrics to a song called, "I Think It's Going to Rain Today". I love Bette Midler's rendition of it but could not find a decent video of one of her performances.



Broken windows and empty hallways,
a pale dead moon in a sky streaked with grey.
Human kindness is overflowing,
and I think it's gonna rain today.

Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles,
the frozen smiles to chase love away.
Human kindness is overflowing,
and I think it's gonna rain today....

Bright before me the signs implore me:
Help the needy and show them the way.
Human kindness is overflowing,
and I think it's gonna rain today....

Bright before me the signs implore me:
Help the needy and show them the way.
Human kindness is overflowing,
and I think it's gonna rain today.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails