Monday, January 24, 2011

Filled with Pride, Just Like Satan

(I was going to blog about the fruits of the Spirit today but ended up with the following instead.)

The title of this is a quote by Pastor Mark Driscoll in his series "Spiritual Warfare".  "Filled with pride, just like satan."  Yikes!  I want to be dead to satan and pursuing the light, not the darkness.  I wish to be humble and if I do not agree with someone else, to disagree, agreeably...NOT in a prideful manner that gives the impression I believe myself to be better than others or always right (because I do NOT think that about myself AT ALL!).

Pastor Mark Driscoll poses the question, "What is your deepest desire?"

He goes on to say,
"If all you have is the flesh, and your deepest desire is the flesh, and your most passionate yearnings are for the flesh, and you don't even feel bad about it...there is no conviction...you are not a Christian."..."Do you really love Jesus?  Not religion.  Not doctrine.  Jesus."

Sometimes, Pastor Mark is a little too intense for me but at other times he is such a blessing to my soul (and tells it like it is, no sugar coating).  Again, from his "Spiritual Warfare" series I take the following quote.  He states,
"He's a non-Christian, all he has is the flesh.  Apart from repentance and regeneration he has nothing but the flesh, there's nothing I can do with the guy....Here's what I've tried to do in counseling before: I've tried to yell at people.  That didn't work.  I tried to threaten them.  That didn't work.  I tried to plead with them.  That didn't work.  I tried to cry, manipulate them.  That didn't work.  I tried to call them everyday and make them do as I tell them ((speaking in a joking tone) assuming the Holy Spirit's on vacation or something and I need to pick up where he left off).  That didn't work.  I can threaten, push, cajole, manipulate people into obedience for a little while but apart from a heart change I really can't do anything.  I can't.  Just can't do it.  So any more I just ask the question, "What are your deepest desires?  What do you really want?"...You share the gospel, share the gospel, you pray for God to change their heart but you can't make them be moral, good, obedient, holy, and complicit because the flesh can't do that.  And it's very grievous.  It's heartbreaking because you love people and you don't want them to ruin their life.  And you pray that they come to their senses before they come to their end."

Oh Lord, I thank You that I desire You and want more than anything to follow You and live according to Your ways.  I thank You for changing my heart back in 2006 and never letting me go.  Thank You for wisdom (and as You know I definitely need more), patience to wait on You when that is what You require, and that nothing can pluck me from Your loving, protective grasp.  I am so grateful for pastors, teachers, and those who encourage (like pastors John Piper, Mark Driscoll, C.J. Mahaney, and Phil Courson) whose flocks can consistently depend on them especially in time of tribulation and suffering.  When I must have firm, biblical guidance and understanding, You removed all (to whom I was trying to cling) and then provided humble sisters in Christ who sit closer than a brother, listen, and never criticize, gossip, or slander to give me guidance. (I pray I may, in turn, be that for someone else.)  I am, without a doubt, truly blessed...because of You!  I am "rich" because of You.  I am "successful" because of You.  I am nothing but trouble without You.  Thank You for keeping me in line.  All honor and glory are Yours forever and ever, Amen.

14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,
   O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14. ESV.)
(Photo information here.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails