Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Essential Nature of Man: Body and Soul

I already started this but when I went to pull it up and continue writing, I was faced with a blank page.  Everything was gone, nowhere to be retrieved.  As I'm sure you can imagine, I am very bummed out!  I cannot even remember what I put down in the first paragraph.  I guess that's a downside to composing on this device...I cannot manually save anything.  If it is not automatically saved, I have to begin again.

This morning I was thinking about man and how many have a moral compass yet some lie, cheat, steal, murder, etc. without hesitation or blink of an eye.  I've heard it said, "Well, that person is an unbeliever and a slave to his/her sin.  You cannot expect him/her to behave in a godly manner."  I cannot help but wonder though, I have seen non-Christians serve humbly out of love, professing Christians behave badly without repentance or apology, and "Pharisee" acting individuals who talk the talk and appear to walk the walk however are corrupt, prideful, or in love with him/herself more than Jesus.  So what gives?  The easy answer would be "sin" but I'm not looking for a simple, surface explanation.  I like to dig deep.

With that said, I am resuming my reading of Wayne Grudem's SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY: AN INTRODUCTION TO BIBLICAL DOCTRINE with chapter 23 "The Essential Nature of Man" followed by 24 "Sin".  Grudem states, "[E]very action we take in this life is an act of our whole person, involving to some extent both body and soul[.]"

7:1 Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.  (1 Corinthians 7:1. ESV.)

 14The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16“For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.  (1 Corinthians 2:14-16. ESV.)

(Photo information here.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails