Monday, February 28, 2011

Monterey Sabbath

Wait. Monterey sabbath?! What?!

Yes, this sabbath we were in Monterey, CA instead of San Francisco...so this post contains pictures from there...mainly the Cannery Row district.


Tuesday, I blogged about how I dislike that man is capable of hurting my heart and how I desire a hedge of protection or shield against that.  Then Wednesday I read a quote of interest which stated, "It's better to have a broken heart than a hardened heart. One attracts the Lord. The other drives Him away.". (Ramsey)


23 Keep your heart with all vigilance,
   for from it flow the springs of life.  (Proverbs 4:23. ESV.)


This life is a mist (James 4:14)---or as the world would say, "life is too short...".  With that in mind, what is worth my time?  Another question rolling around in my mind is, what would I be willing to do for an eternity with a loved one?  Would I suffer now to have them in the presence of Lord (and mine) forever?  What if it meant a taste of gnashing of teeth and hell?  Why not? For a little while... to have a world without end together?


Author Randy Alcorn reminds me of Romans 8:28 when stating the following, "If God could not use something to contribute to the ultimate good of his child, then he will not permit it to happen."


Romans 8:28 reads, And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. (ESV.)


Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. 4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.  (Hebrews 12:3-4. ESV.)


Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. - Oscar Wilde


Last sabbath, we were in San Francisco for worship and then visited (and had lunch) in Japantown, however I did not have my camera or mobile phone so I did not have any photos to share.


What I did not know in worship service that particular week was God was preparing my heart. I was going to come home to a shocking event that would test me and my loved ones over the course of many days. It was especially going to be a trial for the head of our household.


Let no one deceive himself.  If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.  For it is written, "He catches the wise in their own craftiness"; and again, "The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile."  Therefore let no one boast in men.  For all things are yours: whether Paul or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or things present or things to come - all are yours.  And you are Christ's, and Christ is God's. (1 Corinthians 3:18-23. NKJV.)


As the head of our household, I feel my hubs holds a very challenging position. He is responsible for keeping his family in order (in addition to being the main provider and protector). I as his spouse am held to my part as a woman who fears the Lord (Proverbs 31).


Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?  If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him.  For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.  (1 Corinthians 3:16-17. NKJV.)


Yesterday, the Lord brought a thought to my mind as I was driving to meet up with hubs for dinner. Unbeknownst to me, God was once again getting my heart ready for something. While at supper, hubs asked me (what I feel to be) an important question...and I literally had two seconds to answer before our conversation was interrupted and headed off into a different direction. The moment would have been swept away and lost if I had hesitated or stumbled...


But God filled my mouth with words I never would have thought to use in such a short opportunity to speak. And I trust they were the very words hubs NEEDED to hear. You see, God is good and AMAZING. I cannot see the hearts of my family members or the struggles within themselves that they are facing. But God can...and He allows me to serve Him and those so dear to my heart...(and strangers alike).


Hallelujah, all I have is Christ.
Hallelujah, Jesus is my life.

(Jordan Kauflin: Sovereign Grace Ministries)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails