Monday, February 07, 2011

San Francisco Sabbath

Another weekend of wonderful worship in San Francisco! I used to drive into the city two or three times a week for school (years ago). Then, it was a nuisance...but now there is something revitalizing about it.


As I stood talking with other attendees, I was met with sentiments of surprise, "You make the trek all the way here?" Yes, I do. And #1 It's really not that far, #2 it's an enjoyable drive, and #3 it is worth it to me. After careful consideration (and a bit of back and forth) I came to the conclusion if individuals in other countries can travel for many miles (and numerous hours) to hear God's word, then I have no business whining, complaining, or not making the measly one hour and fifteen minutes journey (each direction).


Besides, we drive anywhere between 45 minutes to three hours (one way) for extra curricular activities like motocross. Would I not be willing to do for God what I do for the world? More so! The things of this world will pass away but God's word lasts forever.


14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Corinthians 2:14. ESV.)


I am so thankful for day trips into the city for sabbath. I am grateful for this new congregation where I feel comfortable, welcome, and relaxed. Perhaps one of these times I will take my real camera and get some good pictures to share instead of these flimsy, camera-phone photos.


I am having a great time meeting new people of the body of Christ. I love how they live close by and walk to worship. One day, maybe we'll park further away and take a stroll around the neighborhood...possibly stop at a local café and get a coffee. It's such a lovely part of the city. I was told each home in the vicinity starts (in cost) at one million dollars.


The sun shined brightly and warmed my face. Not a single hint of gray clouds, whipping wind, or fog threatened to intrude. Cyclists and walkers were out in full force, drinking up the beauty of the day.

It would be nice to have other pilgrims with whom to share this adventure. But sometimes alone is how God directs our steps. And I will get to know this new congregation. We are the church, together.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails