Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Words That Pierce Like a Sword

There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts,
   but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
(Proverbs 12:18. ESV.)

I absolutely LOVE how God's word covers everything!

Do you ever feel icky after someone talks to you but cannot quite put your finger on why? Maybe their words are hurtful criticism instead of wise counsel. Or, perhaps the sentiment was intended to be "faithful wounds of a friend" (Proverbs 27:6) however comes out prideful, dripping with jealousy, etc. and harms like a sword instead. I have to be honest and say, I have experienced this (and continue to) in my life...harsh words, which are very unpleasant!

Recently, I received the following encouragement which blessed me greatly so I am passing it along.

Psalm 55:22 (NIV)- "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."

Exodus 14:14 (NIV)- "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

My heart (and soul) rejoice in these truths! How amazing is our God that He takes vengeance and battles for us? What did I do to deserve such an awesome King and Heavenly Father? Nothing! I was a slave to my sin until God was merciful, graceful, and gave me eyes to see and ears to hear. Without the Holy Spirit I would be walking in the flesh all the time, self centered and self serving...opinionated, judgmental, angry, irritable, and just plain ugly!

Pastor John Piper once posed the question (along the lines of), "What is the worst possible thing you can imagine?"

After a pause he went on by saying, "How about having an all powerful God against you?"

In my opinion, that would indeed be unfathomably terrible! But how fortunate for those who have an "all powerful God" against them He is also loving and forgiving (among many other mind blowing attributes) yet just, stern, and a disciplinarian. Not to mention far more patient than myself. When I am ready to give up on someone or something, my King reminds my heart (and soul) that,
"The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God because they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14. ESV.)

Thank you, God, that you are wise and willing to look upon hearts instead of only behavior and words!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails