Thursday, March 24, 2011

For God’s Temple is Holy, and You Are That Temple

7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.  (2 Corinthians 4:7. NKJV.)

The Weaker Vessel

I love 2 Corinthians 4:7 because when I read it I think of two things: 1. the Holy Spirit and 2. pregnancy.  Perhaps an odd combination of thoughts however they help me remember and put into perspective that God's word calls me His temple (and anyone who devastates the temple will be annihilated by God).

16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.  (1 Corinthians 3:16-17. ESV.)

That's pretty weighty for a Thursday morning over coffee (when I was working on this) but it gives me such peace and reassurance (among other things---like a realization of for what I am accountable).  

When expecting, the mother (obviously) is carrying some pretty precious cargo.  Any "bad habits" in which the woman may have engaged previously are discouraged.  Family and friends try to lighten her load and her husband might even become more protective and overly chivalrous.  She is a "vessel" and (in many cases) her lifestyle changes.  I feel the same can be said when the Holy Spirit (who did some awesome, powerful things...as recorded in scripture) dwells within us.  As if Christ paying the price for our sins was not awesome enough, the Holy Spirit then came to guide and convicts us so that we may be pleasing in God's sight.  Phew, if that does not blow your hair back I do not know what would.

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.  (Acts 1:8. ESV.)

Observe, Analyze, Deduce
(Learn, Discern, Encourage, Serve)

The bible tells me Christ was the only individual without sin.  As for the rest of us, we have to repent from our sin, learn from it, grow, and encourage others with an empathetic understanding.

And, I certainly do not mind being the "weaker vessel".  It is my opinion the head of household has such a HUGE responsibility!  Provider, protector, Chief Operations Officer, the superintendent of our (own personal) school district---(home), the general of our 4077th, etc.  You get the picture.

I feel it is my privilege to study God's word (and familiarize myself with what is pleasing in His sight), watch my family (and others), be vigilant of areas where support is needed, train up children in the way they should go, serve as lead by the Holy Spirit, be the colonel (vice president, etc. to hubs), and to pray with my whole heart, without ceasing.  I'm good with that!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails