Thursday, March 17, 2011

Woe to you, Scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites!

God's Word has quite a bit to say about hypocrites. When I looked up the word (to see how many times it appears in the bible) the search produced a minimum of 18 scripture tags...many of which contained "Woe to you...hypocrites"! And I do believe it was not a good thing when Jesus said that!

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people’s bones and all uncleanness." (Matthew 23:27. ESV.)

Because of Jesus' abhorrence of and the offensiveness of double standards and deceitfulness, I pray I will focus on the log in my own eye as opposed to the speck in someone else's eye!

42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye. (Luke 6:42. ESV.)

Instead of being quick to point the finger at another individual I want to be swift to acknowledge my own faults, turn away from them, ask forgiveness from those I have affected, and not make the same mistakes repeatedly. Further, I desire to be forgiving toward those who sin against me in this manner and not appear self righteous and "holier than thou".

Most importantly, I want to glorify God and Christ...not myself, not the scribes, and not the Pharisees. I don't have to be right...infact, most of the time I am not! I have pride in my heart that hinders clear thought and vision (probably more times than I would like to admit). I have to remember to first pray before opening my mouth to spew what overflows from my heart (Matthew 12:34).

And it's always interesting to see what is lurking in my heart! Wretched, wretched, wretchedness I tell you! As I inform my children, they get to witness me stumble more than anything else. But, I love my God and Jesus with all my heart and soul and am (so thankful to be) guided by the Holy Spirit who convicts me (even though it is very uncomfortable)...praise God!

6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you [and me] will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6. ESV.)

(Photo information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails