Saturday, May 07, 2011

You Shall Not Put the Lord Your God to the Test

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am attempting to "tweet" the bible in one year.  (If you are not already on Twitter, you can meet me there @Matt5verse6.  There is also a live Twitter stream in the left sidebar of this blog.)  Anyway, on day four of this project the following stuck out to me.

The Water Covered the Earth

19 And the waters prevailed so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered.  (Genesis 7:19. ESV.)

As I sit and think about such a thing, I am in awe.  Surely there must be evidence of this occurrence!  The fossils of sea creatures in high altitudes, perhaps! (Though I've never looked it up.)  I am reminded of the scripture in Habakkuk which says,

14 For the earth will be filled
   with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD
   as the waters cover the sea.
 (Habakkuk 4:14. ESV.)

One day all will know of God's glory!  It will reach every "corner" of the earth!  Every voice will cry out, "Jesus is Lord!  Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty.  Who was, and is, and is to come!"

4 and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.  (Genesis 8:4. ESV.)

What an amazing sight to have beheld!!!

Psalms

3 But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
   my glory, and the lifter of my head.
 (Psalm 3:3. ESV.)

Temptation

Everyone feels the strains and burning of temptation.  An urging voice in the depths of the mind taunting, nagging, persuading.  I say "everyone" because even Jesus was tempted...and He alone was perfect.  Why would we, those who are imperfect, not go through the same as well?  But Jesus spoke wisdom in the face of temptation.  He said:

“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
   but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
 (Matthew 4:4. ESV.)

And,

‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”  (Matthew 4:7. ESV.)

I admit I get tempted at times...to not keep a guard over my mouth when I should, to return evil for evil, to not take every thought captive, to worry, become frustrated, and/or doubt.  But the Holy Spirit within me guides me through.  Praise God.  For God's grace is sufficient and there is ALWAYS a means of escape.

8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
(Psalm 4:8. ESV.)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails