Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Those Who Through Faith and Patience Inherit the Promises.

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.  (Galatians 1:10. ESV.)

Lost in Translation

What happens to the Word of God as it is taken in with our eyes then processed by our brain and "heart"?  (I recently heard a pastor describe the "heart" this way:
The Heart: our thoughts, our will (Hebrews 6:12), conscience, motives, desires.

Hebrews 6:12: so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.”
(1 Samuel 16:7. ESV.)

I believe the Word of God is "living and active and sharper than any two edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12).  I can read the same passage in two different seasons of my life and take from it one thing the first time and something completely different the second time.  I have verses highlighted in my bible and sometimes cannot remember for the life of me what struck me about them.

I do not like the word "interpretation" when it comes to scripture.  I just don't.  I feel the bible is "translated" from Greek and Hebrew into other world languages but when an individual tells me, "That is MY 'interpretation' of the text," it makes me leery...but perhaps it is because in my experience when a person has said that, they were actually manipulating God's word to suit his/her purpose.  In my opinion, that is a far cry from the bible being "living and active".

Intimately Yours

Further, I feel the relationship between God and His children is very intimate.  This helps me to understand why at times one might get offended at something someone else has said.  (Not to be confused with a prideful offense when God's word is being deliberately altered to justify wickedness.)

The two descriptions I love most regarding God are "King" and "Father".  These assist me in glorifying Him and giving Him the admiration and utmost respect He commands yet reminds me of a parental love He has for me...which includes protection, provisions, and all things being for my good whether I understand it or not.  As a child my parents made decisions I could not grasp until I had my own family for whom to care.  Same can be said for my comprehension of events this side of heaven.

11 What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; 12 or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!". (Luke 11:11-13. ESV.)

Correction and Instruction

I, personally, love correction from the "body of Christ".  Not a rebuke out of pride or jealousy (which leaves a person feeling icky)...but a loving, humble, pure, grace filled reproof.

I am abundantly blessed when someone notices a challenge of mine and comes up along side to aid me...not criticize me and tell me it is "not okay" or "unacceptable"...but to teach me how to do better and in turn maybe even make it one of my strengths (with practice).

Like with ballet. I only grew as a ballerina and became stronger when I received "helpful criticism" and guidance regarding my technique.  It took time, the patience of others, hard work, and lots of perseverance.  I believe this can apply to each and every area of my life and service to God.

I cannot do it myself, though.  I need that "iron sharpening iron".
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails