Saturday, June 11, 2011

You Stubborn of Heart, You Who are Far From Righteousness

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, 6 not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, 8 knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free. 9 Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.  (Ephesians 6:5-9. ESV.)

Be Angry and Sin Not

Up until recently, I used to glaze over verses six and seven,
"not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man,"
 Then one day I understood why this part is in scripture. How easy is it (for me) to return evil for evil?  (I.e. To say, "Well, if you are going to be rude to me then I will not serve you!")  Petty and childish, right?  But, if one is doing everything unto the Lord, then there will be no disappointment!  Unlike man who sins against each other, God and Christ Jesus are perfectly loving, truthful, good, righteous and Holy.  So, there would be no hard feelings.

From the Heart

Here is that phrase again, "from the heart".  But the heart is an organ that pumps blood.  What does the Word of God mean when it says, "heart"?  Thought?  Will?  Soul?  

8 “Remember this and stand firm,
   recall it to mind, you transgressors,
9 remember the former things of old;
for I am God, and there is no other;
   I am God, and there is none like me,
10 declaring the end from the beginning
   and from ancient times things not yet done,
saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
   and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
11 calling a bird of prey from the east,
   the man of my counsel from a far country.
I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass;
I have purposed, and I will do it.
12 “Listen to me, you stubborn of heart,
   you who are far from righteousness:
13 I bring near my righteousness; it is not far off,
   and my salvation will not delay;
I will put salvation in Zion,
   for Israel my glory.”
 (Isaiah 46:8-13. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails