Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Let Them Ask Their Husbands at Home

Keeping it in Context

Yesterday I was misquoted.  My words in reference to one topic had been applied to a different one in an effort (by the other individual) to make a point.  This placing of what I said, out of context, got me thinking about the Word of God and how easy it is to do the very same thing to Him!

An example of this came to my attention with 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 which says:
As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

1 Corinthians 14:40: But all things should be done decently and in order.

1 Corinthians 7:17: Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches.

1 Timothy 2:12: I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

Does this mean God does not use women as His servants? In my opinion, no. Not only do I refer to Queen Esther, Mary the mother of Christ Jesus, and Ruth but scripture also says:

Both Sons and Daughters Shall Prophesy

17 "'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
   and your young men shall see visions,
   and your old men shall dream dreams;
18 even on my male servants and female servants
   in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above
   and signs on the earth below,
   blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
20 the sun shall be turned to darkness
   and the moon to blood,
   before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'
(Acts 2:17-21. ESV.)

Ezekiel 36:27: 27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.

Romans 5:5: 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Acts 21:8-9: 8 On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9 He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied.

Acts 16:31: 31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

In my opinion, it is not a competition between genders. Both are important! Both are in the image of God and represent (glorify) Him. But each within his or her capacity (the scope of their work, i.e. job description, as set forth by God Himself).

Contradiction

I have heard some claim the bible contains contradictions.  It is my opinion though that it is filled with balance however if verses are taken out of context, it causes confusion.

33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. (1 Corinthians 14:33. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails