Thursday, July 07, 2011

So God Created Man in His Own Image, Male and Female He Created Them

17 "'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
   and your young men shall see visions,
   and your old men shall dream dreams;
18 even on my male servants and female servants
   in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
(Acts 2:17-18. ESV.)

Acts 21:8-9: 8 On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9 He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied.

Daughters Shall Prophesy But Not Lead

It looks like there are an abundance of "gifts" bestowed by the Holy Spirit:
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.  (1 Corinthians 12:4-11. ESV.)

Although prophesy is one of them regarding women, instruction and leadership over men is not:
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.  (1 Timothy 2:12-15. ESV.)

Genesis 1:27: So God created man in his own image,
   in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.


Galatians 4:4: But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law,

At the university I attended, my English composition teacher/professor became highly offended and indignant when I wrote in one of my papers that women (Eve) were created from the rib of Adam.  I recall she was quite upset and advised me not to include it!  It was not until I was beyond an impressionable age I realized it was not hers to take away or tell me to exclude.  It is my belief whether she agreed or not.

Equal Yet Different

In my opinion, it is not a competition between genders. Both are important! Both are in the image of God and represent (glorify) Him. But each within his or her capacity (the scope of their work, i.e. job description, as set forth by God Himself).

10 An excellent wife who can find?
   She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
   and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
   all the days of her life.
 (Proverbs 31:10-12. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails