Saturday, September 03, 2011

Walk Humbly with Your God

10 As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:  (1 Peter 4:10. ESV.)

When I look back on my life days, months, years from now, will I feel as though I have squandered that time away or been a good steward?  Will I look at each season and say (without doubt or hesitation), "I did my best.  I gave it all I had."  Will I see the strength of Christ where I am (was/have been) weak?

2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.  (1 Corinthians 4:2. ESV.)

While contemplating this, a dear friend of mine sent me an email (about something completely unrelated and without knowledge of my reflection) and included Micah 6:8 which says,
And what does the Lord require of you? 
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Do I do as God requires?  I look to Proverbs 31 (among other verses) when it comes to being a wife.  I preach the Proverb to myself that says to train up a child in the way he should go and he will never depart from it, when it comes to parenting.  (But, I suspect my kiddos will take from their childhood (and the rearing they received) and keep what they liked and discard that which they do not favor when it comes to the upbringing of their own family.)  Further, I know I am not favored by God because of anything I have done or continue to do but rather because of what Christ did for all of us!  I firmly believe when I stand before God, He will not see me but rather His perfect, beloved Son.

I feel it is impossible for me, in my own capacity, to ever live up to God's standards.  He has to mold me like a potter sculpts the clay.  But I am capable (and want to) live in a manner pleasing to God because of grace, the Holy Spirit (it is very uncomfortable when the Holy Spirit is offended), and out of love.  Someone gave me an excellent illustration last Sunday.  He said we do not care for our children because we are afraid of consequences (i.e. breaking the law or having CWS (Child Welfare Services) take away our children).  We do it out of a genuine love for them.  I do what I do out of a real and passionate love for my King and His Son, Christ Jesus.

So, am I being a good steward of all God gives me?
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails