Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shield of Faith

“Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.” ― Thomas Jefferson

“All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.” ― Sophocles, Antigone

Instead of building a monument (of myself or anyone else), I am digging a well. Perhaps one day some (if even only one) will come to it and drink... or maybe none will. Either way, it will exist.

Bear One Another's Burdens

6:1 Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. 5 For each will have to bear his own load. (Galatians 6:1-5. ESV.)

In an effort for me to understand this better I have to break it down a bit.

James 5:19-20: My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, 20 let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Romans 15:1: We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.

2 Timothy 2:25: correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,

1 Thessalonians 5:14: And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.

1 John 4:21: And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

2 Corinthians 13:5: Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Romans 14:12: So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

That Burden is Not My Own!

Don't I have enough on my plate without carrying something that belongs to someone else? Besides, doesn't God give each of us only what we can handle---with His grace? Other individuals have some pretty heavy "baggage"! I do not think I am strong enough.

EXACTLY! Because "I" am not but Christ (within me) is! And, if another is drowning would I not throw a life preserver?

1 Corinthians 3:7: So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.

I can be the concierge or bellman and help with the heavy lifting but ultimately it is God who does it all and the only one in whom anyone can boast. And yes, I do believe God would like for me to assist others just as I, at times, REALLY NEED aid myself!

"When you need comfort, I love to enfold you in My arms. I enable you not only to feel comforted but also to be a channel through whom I comfort others. Thus, you are doubly blessed, because a living channel absorbs some of whatever flows through it." (Young, Sarah. JESUS CALLING. 2004. Thomas Nelson. Nashville, TN. Pg. 303)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails