Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Steps Are Established by the Lord

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ― Benjamin Franklin

“Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.” ― Robert Strauss

“Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.” ― Archimedes, The Works of Archimedes

A New Direction

As I have mentioned before, I used to train in dance (with a emphasis on ballet), gymnastics/acrobatics, and volleyball (for fun).  But that was years ago...and though I still will teach (when opportunities arise) I was considering going into the field of ballroom dancing.

Watching the dancers float around the floor, twisting, twirling, stretching...in sync with their lines so exact and beautiful made me desire to start competing again.  The preconceived notion ballroom would be easier (than say, ballet) played about in my mind.  But when would I have the time to train?  That all changed, though, the day I met martial arts.

A second interest entered my world on an afternoon of running errands.  Who knew the mundane would lead to this?  But changing fields means starting over!  Back to square one.  Do I have the patience and determination to do so?  I am a parent, and I am busy taking care of kiddos, helping my spouse, maintaining our home, etc. ...it is a full time thing!

Besides, with dance I started at age four and I'm told it takes 10,000 hours to be good at something (according to author Malcolm Gladwell).  Can I put my hours of dance and gymnastic toward those for martial arts?  There are some similarities in areas like balance, flexibility, improv, etc.  There is technique involved.

Not by Might Shall a Man Prevail

7 The path of the righteous is level;
    you make level the way of the righteous.
 (Isaiah 26:7. ESV.)

1 Samuel 2:9: "He will guard the feet of his faithful ones,
   but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness,
   for not by might shall a man prevail. (ESV)


Psalm 37:23: The steps of a man are established by the LORD,
   when he delights in his way; (ESV)

The Lord establishes my steps whether they are significant or not.  I feel each and every one, however big or small, takes me toward what the Lord has predestined for me (since before the foundation of the earth was set).

24 A man’s steps are from the LORD;
   how then can man understand his way?
 (Proverbs 20:24. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails