Friday, January 06, 2012

If Any Believing Woman Has Relatives Who Are Widows, Let Her Care for Them

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:26, 27 ESV)

I know I said it is not quite time to talk about this but I am going to a little bit anyway. "Visit orphans and widows in their affliction." I reference this scripture whenever I perceive a woman and/or child(ren) in need. What would God want me to do? He says to "visit them". But, what does this mean? Matthew 25:36 says this,
I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' (ESV)

Job 31:17-18 states,
or have eaten my morsel alone,
and the fatherless has not eaten of it
(for from my youth the fatherless grew up with me as with a father,
and from my mother's womb I guided the widow),
(ESV)

Bring Justice to the Fatherless
learn to do good;
seek justice,
correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless,
plead the widow's cause.
(Isaiah 1:17 ESV)

With this economy being what it is, there are many without an income, a home, etc. So if I have something to offer (like a job position, extra bed, hand-me-down clothes, etc.) I feel I should make it available to "orphans and widows in their affliction". But the word of God also tells me, "if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household".

Honor widows who are truly widows. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God. She who is truly a widow, left all alone, has set her hope on God and continues in supplications and prayers night and day, but she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives. Command these things as well, so that they may be without reproach. But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.... If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those who are truly widows. (1 Timothy 5:3-8, 16 ESV)

I have let my heart be known. I stand before the throne of grace with my petition. Please, Lord, hear my plea. The door remains open. It has not yet been closed. Please, Lord, reveal Your will on this matter and let not my heart be troubled but in obedience to You, have peace.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails