Sunday, January 15, 2012

Selling God and Jesus

Marketing faith and making money off of knowing God, the giving of His only begotten Son as an atonement of grace for our sins, and the receiving of the Holy Spirit just feels wrong to me. (And I say this in all innocents in spirit...no malicious intent involved.)

From where in the world did this thought come?

I was reading some blog posts about how to make an income using one's writing when I thought to myself, "What is my "niche"? About what would I write and then sell?" when my answer to myself was (my favorite topics), "Faith. God and Jesus," I felt a wave of "Ick" wash over me. For me, if a person's soul depends on information, why would I charge them money for it?

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17 ESV)

When You Heard the Word of Truth

In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
(Ephesians 1:11-14 ESV)

Grace Through Faith

Faith comes from receiving the word of God. The Great Commission says,
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19, 20 ESV)
And grace comes through faith alone:
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV)

The sower sows the word. And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them. And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: the ones who, when they hear the word, immediately receive it with joy. And they have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away.
And others are the ones sown among thorns. They are those who hear the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. But those that were sown on the good soil are the ones who hear the word and accept it and bear fruit, thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold."
(Mark 4:14-20 ESV)

For me, I will continue to share the scriptures without charging a fee. And I pray God will always hold me to that!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails