Friday, February 10, 2012

If the Lord Wills, We Will Live and Do This or That

A friend of our family asked if I want to read her copy of Davis Miller's THE TAO OF BRUCE LEE: A Martial Arts Memoir. I have to admit my interest is sparked. So, I guess this is going to be my new reading project. Only 192 pages. I just might be able to stay focused long enough to finish it. :)

The Japanese Smile

Switching gears here...Bruce Lee is Chinese American and I am moving now to the Japanese culture.

I am intrigued by the Japanese. I love their cuisine, their karate, their honor, etc. I am sure it has something to do with the Japanese family that lived across the street from mine when I was a child. I grew up familiar with some of their food and customs. As a young adult, I auditioned for Tokyo Disney a few times but never received the opportunity to go. (I was told I was not the "look" [those conducting the audition] were "looking for". Humph!) ;)

As an elementary student I once heard about "the Japanese smile" and how it is like a mask. From that day forward I adopted the practice. Chie Iryo explains "The Japanese Smile" over at kyushu.com.

Face and Respect

Changing it up once more, I am now going to reference independent Singapore.

While a guest there, as a matter of etiquette, I (and the rest of the group) was strongly warned about causing anyone to "lose face". This was to be avoided at all cost as the offense and repercussions were serious.

The "Kwintessential" website gives a rundown of the language, culture, customs and etiquette of Singapore at kwintessential.co.uk. And, as it explains, reputation, prestige, dignity, and family are very important to them...along with "respect for the elderly".

A Silent Culture

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. (James 4:13-17 ESV)

I look forward to pursuing Japan again someday. And, God willing, I will get to spend time in the Land of the Rising Sun!

...For now though, I'll mosey through Japantown in San Francisco. :)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails