Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Our Sins Testify Against Us

So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. (James 4:17 ESV)

I've been rolling this piece of scripture around in my mind lately. There are a few words that really stick out to me.

"Whoever KNOWS the right thing to do and fails to do it, FOR HIM it is sin."

In my opinion, it sounds like sin is as diverse, unique, and specific as a fingerprint. So mine will not fit someone else and theirs will not match me. Further, God knows my heart and sees my transgressions as though they are a sign around my neck! I cannot hide them from Him! There is not a single place His light cannot reach. Even if I hide out in the deepest depths on my soul! (So why bother trying to do so? Hence one of the reasons I try NOT to sin!) It testifies against me and the Holy Spirit burns within me when He becomes offended! Talk about wanting to come out of one's own skin.

But if you will not do so, behold, you have sinned against the Lord, and be sure your sin will find you out. (Numbers 32:23 ESV)

For our transgressions are multiplied before you,
and our sins testify against us;
for our transgressions are with us,
and we know our iniquities: (Isaiah 59:12 ESV)

Sure, there are the general trespasses addressed in the ten commandments but man is complex and darkness can seep into even the smallest cracks. The devil is in the details so to speak. The crevices of one's thoughts and intentions. Is there purity of heart each step of the way?

Get Rid of Strife

Drive out a scoffer, and strife will go out,
and quarreling and abuse will cease.
(Proverbs 22:10 ESV)

Is it really that simple?

As I have said before, I love how the word of God addresses just about everything. And, Proverbs explains it in such a way that is easier to grasp (than some other texts in the bible),
Like a dog that returns to his vomit
is a fool who repeats his folly.
(Proverbs 26:11 ESV)
Gross!

And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:24-26 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails