Wednesday, October 31, 2012

God in the Storm

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11 ESV)

The wind rose and the water swelled as hurricane Sandy struck the East Coast. She was scheduled to show New York, and its surrounding states, no mercy. My relatives, whom I love dearly, reside in those areas and, I am sure, prepared for the worst. The last time a loved one of mine saw a hurricane was when Katrina slammed into Louisiana and Mississippi. It did not go well.

This time, however, everyone reports they weathered the storm okay. Thank you, Lord! I am so grateful for your hedge of protection around those I adore so much!

Speaking of "storms"...A few weeks ago I was sitting with someone and we were discussing unequally yoked relationships. How insanely difficult they are! It is no wonder the scriptures advise against them! I mean, really! The seventh commandment should say (not that I am adding onto or changing something God created...I'm just saying), "You shall not commit adultery or marry outside the church!"

Perhaps youth groups should do a course on "unequally yoked" marriages so our Uth have a better understanding of what the word of God says regarding this topic. I am sure few plan how, when, or with whom they will "fall in love". I have many times heard the statement, "Hey, I can't help who I fall in love with!" But what about if one waits it out and trusts wholly in our God and who He has for each of us?! It's worth it, don't you think? What "could be" or "could have been...if only"...depending on the person and situation.

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? (2 Corinthians 6:14, 15 ESV)
It's like they cannot understand each other. One is speaking in a foreign language and they just get frustrated trying to communicate and make it work. There is no "common ground". No "same page".

What portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? Not much. Maybe one-forth, tops! If that. Or one-eighth or even one-sixteenth. Partnerships are hard enough without throwing the "unevenly yoked" issue into it! Blah! Do you hear me, single, females? What would I tell my own daughters? (Given they would listen to me on this one.) Wait on the Lord! His timing is not our own and it may seem like "forever". But, be patient! He sees and knows hearts! That is HUGE, of course!

But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you, delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.' (Acts 26:16-18 ESV)

(Photo Information)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails