Thursday, October 25, 2012

Not Only to His Own Interests, But Also to the Interests of Others

Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:4.)

The sun shined brightly, yesterday, in a clear, blue sky as its heat tried to penetrate the cool air announcing, "Winter is almost here!" (Not that I am a fan of old man winter or his boy wonder side kick, Jack Frost! I much prefer the humid, tropical climate or even a dash of Spring or hint of Fall...without all the freezing, cold rain, of course. Giant, warm drops that soak a person in one hit is more my speed.) Anyhow, as I was admiring the touch of warmth on my face I could not stop thinking about Philippians 2:4 and how everyone seems so BUSY these days. I once heard an acronym for the word BUSY...perhaps on the radio...consisting of BUSY: Being Under Satan's Yoke. A shout out, no less, to Mary and Martha. This, of course, made me stop in my tracks. Am I too BUSY in my own interests that I blow off those of others?!

This is a picture of me and Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea (who is very, very dear to me) has been going through chemotherapy treatments for the past few months and turns 10 months old, today!  Though I get regular updates as to how Pea is doing, I wish I was closer and could offer some hands on help. But for now, my prayers are all I have to give.
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. (Romans 12:15 ESV)
Pea's parents (who are amazing believers, by the way) meet with the surgeon today to discuss the next step in treatment.  God is my King, my Heavenly Father, my provider, my protector, etc.  I truly believe in His sovereignty and His loving hand in all of this.  He gives the tools that are needed and we have faith in Him and His will for precious Sweet Pea.  Our hope is in a full recovery with no reoccurring issues.
I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him. That which is, already has been; that which is to be, already has been; and God seeks what has been driven away. (Ecclesiastes 3:14, 15 ESV)

On a lighter note...this is some random dog who keeps showing up in our backyard. One of the neighborhood kids broke our fence so as to climb through it. Though my friend and I tried blocking the gaping hole, there is enough room for this young pup to come bounding into the yard. It seems we have become the "Island of Misfit Pets."

We already have a cat who has adopted us which the kiddos call, Charlie. Lovely as she is, I cannot allow her in the house because I have cat allergies (including sinus headaches and hives).  Though each chance she gets, "Charlie" tries to jet passed whoever may have the door open, at any given time, and roam around our home.  Her owners live two doors down and appear to leave "Charlie" out in the elements.  Rain or shine, hot or cold, she makes her way around the housing area looking for shelter, food, and water.  On harsh nights I let the kiddos put her in our garage to sleep on an old mattress from our RV (recreational vehicle).  Others leave out food and water for her and her sister (which my crew has dubbed, Ms. Mittens.)

I feel we lose out when we do not take the time to serve others...in what ever way they need to be served!
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:3-8 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails