Sunday, November 25, 2012

California Dreamin'

I'm sure there are many people who would LOVE to live in California. I'm just not one of them. Maybe it sounds glamorous or seems "bigger than life"...but what it is, is pricey! Crazy expensive! But that's just my opinion, I suppose. (Although, the house in which I currently live was about $171.30 per square foot when we bought it back in 2001. The place we are getting ready to rent was approximately $256 per square foot before the economy crashed. When I went to Texas in 2008, someone had a much bigger home (at least twice the size) than mine for less than what I had financed! Of course, I venture a guess, the rate of pay for jobs is also lower.)

Minimum wage in CA is presently $8.00. The highest state is Washington paying $9.04/ hour , the second is Oregon at $8.80/hr., and third is Vermont with $8.46/hr. (Wyoming and Georgia came in at the lowest paying $5.15/ hr.) (Wikipedia) So what should be deciding factors in where to live in the United States (U.S.)?

I have lived in Northern Cali for twelve years, now. I have watched some friends come, stay for a little bit, then go. Others I met here but now they have gone. Few acquaintances were born here and have stayed. I feel it is my turn to mosey along but that door is still closed, much to my frustration! (Lord! Why?!)

Anyway, back to my question, what should be deciding factors on where to live in the U.S.? Pay? Cost of living? Best schools? Safest cities? Cheapest cities? Family? Friends? Relatives? Faith? Children? Laws? Job opportunities? I'm told (by one individual) I have no clue what to consider when it comes to deciding where to live. I feel that is an inaccurate assessment. To me, family is very important and people take priority over money! But, that's just me. I would prefer to live modestly and be closer to family (immediate, extended, relatives) than live in luxury further away. But, not everyone agrees with that.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. (1 Timothy 6:10 ESV)

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5 ESV)

Schooling for the kiddos is also at the top of my list! At this point I "homeschool" through the Charter School Act however, I am always on the look out for something better! Something that is going to challenge my young ones and inspire them to learn! With each new area in which we live comes a new list of choices...but basically it boils down to public, private, charter, homeschool. Which offers the best for my crew?!

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled....

Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior. (Titus 2:9, 10 ESV)
(Titus 2:3-5 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails