Friday, November 02, 2012

God in the Mundane

“Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.” ― Jim Elliot
I wonder in what scripture this statement is rooted. Maybe 1 Thessalonians 5:18,
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Being "all here" is VERY difficult for me because my parents, brother, relatives and most of my friends live elsewhere, and I desire to be with them, too! I can't help but feel somewhat alone here in Cali. And yet, I have been here since 1998. (I do have one cousin on this coast...but in WA. My immediate family is here with me, of course. And that, is where my focus should be held...on the ones who depend on me.)


Even in the typical day, God is there! Okay, this particular day was not quite my usual...though there were lots of chores to do and errands to run. Generally, the day begins with doing school work with the kiddos and then goes from there. This has become quite the challenge as the Little Chef is no longer in elementary grades and feels the need to argue with me and sometimes even flatly refuse to do the work. Such resistance does not go over well with me and I tend to get frustrated. How do I get this one to understand the importance of this education and how thankful one should be for such knowledge in all subjects?! There are so many who can barely read or write!


After hours of mind numbing lessons and a slough of math problems, it was off to the store for a small list of groceries, a set of pajamas, a book for a literary curriculum, and a new day light and Omnivore mix for the Beardie (bearded dragon, Simon). Now, no excursion with me would be complete without forgetting something. Yep, I did, of course...the book! If it is not on the list on my flip phone (yes, I know, I should upgrade), it gets overlooked. Psh!


This late afternoon we stop at the pet store for listed items and walk away with added treats for Simon and the dogs (Sydney the Pug and Brutus the white Boxer). Crickets for the beardie and canine cookies for Syd and the Brute. They were cheap, okay?! No biggie. Suddenly, I had a thought once we returned home. Every other time we have gotten Simon grasshoppers...not crickets! As evening came I started to notice a foreign sound. Yep, chirping! Which, no less, continued all... night... long! Darn crickets! They are out in the garage now.


After all was said and done the evening concluded with kiddos in bed and wine :30. Does one need a reason to indulge in a glass (or two) of Pinot Noir? Not in my book. The laundry and cleaning got done, the children were trained up, the dinner was made, the pets spoiled, and hubs was assisted. I think that about covers it.

An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life....
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night....
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy....
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
(Proverbs 31:10-12, 17-18, 20, 25-30. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails