Thursday, November 01, 2012

Hallowed Be Thy Name

"Hallowed", meaning "regarded as holy; venerated; sacred: Hallowed be Thy name; the hallowed saints;". (Dictionary.com)

"Hallowed saints" as in "All Saints' Day", "Allhallows Eve: observed especially by children in costumes who solicit treats, often by threatening minor pranks.". (Dictionary.com)

Please forgive me for being curt but I prefer not to be judged (or judge others) because I allow my children to play dress up in public and "solicit treats" one day out of the year. I feel it is my heart, and the heart of my children, that matter regarding this topic and only God can see those so it is difficult for anyone else to form an accurate assessment. With that said, I do not have ill feelings toward people who steer clear of "Hallowe'en" in general as a reverence toward God and Christ Jesus.

To me, observing "Hallowe'en" does not mean I disrespect or dishonor God just as my wearing black does not represent I am "emo", practicing dark arts, or worshipping satan.

Now that, that is out of the way...I must say, "Hallowe'en" is not one of my favorite "holidays" because of what it has become. As a child, my brother and I had fantastic costumes...a painter, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, Mickey or Minnie Mouse, to name a few. it was fun, innocent, amusing to wear funny clothes and get treats! Only compared to Easter did I get so many sweets! This is what I pass down to my children. Sometimes we make funny faces on pumpkins, I carve them out, and then I bake and eat the seeds! (I LOVE pumpkin seeds.) Sometimes I place glow sticks in them and put them on the front porch. There is no malice in it. It means nothing to us but playfulness.

Personally, I am not a fan of gore, macabre, horror, witch craft, satanism, or the like that some individuals add to October 31st for whatever their reasons...a lot of times claiming pagan or wiccan practices. I suppose it means something different to each depending on their beliefs...just as Christmas is a celebration of the birth of our Savior to followers of Christ and others view it as simply a time to spend with family and give gifts.

Generally speaking, my crew and I spend this evening each year at a church function whether it is a "trunk or treat", carnival, etc. Last time we were merely attendees. This time we volunteered ourselves and resources and participated wholly, helping to create the environment for others to enjoy.

It was called, "Awesome Autumn" and each of us came up with some sort of game to be played out of the back of our vehicles. Ours was a carnival Wii game. Kiddos competed against each other in "midway" type challenges, on the gaming console. All received candy as a prize. I fully expected ours to be the most popular but really, I have a sneaky suspicion the "hay ride" was the favorite! Ba humbug! Just joking.

I even had a getup! Can you tell what I was, from the picture? It is a shout out to my former years...a ballerina! (I could only find one leg warmer, though, and instead of real pointe shoes I wore dance sneakers...on which I can still go "on pointe".). The Little Chef was a "Ghostbuster" (from the movie) and the Little Leaguer was "Boba Fett" (from Star Wars, of course)! Great merriment was had by all, I do believe!

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? (James 4:10-12 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails