Sunday, November 04, 2012

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November

Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot!

November fifth is Guy Fawkes day! Never heard of him? Wikipedia states the following regarding him,
Guy Fawkes (13 April 1570 – 31 January 1606), also known as Guido Fawkes, the name he adopted while fighting for the Spanish in the Low Countries, was a member of a group of provincial English Catholics who planned the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605.

Each fifth of November the College Kid and I see who remembers it first! Being the quickest draw and promptly texting the other the above nursery rhyme determines the winner. In past years we have even watched the movie, "V for Vendetta" together. My plan this year is to draft the text ahead of time and then send it as fast as possible right at midnight! Of course, the Kid probably has a similar idea.

I'm sure it seems like foolishness (and maybe it is) but the fabulous thing I get out of it is a special "holiday" I share with the College Kid, all to myself. No one else ever joins in...can't imagine why. (Joking.) It is even more precious to me now that the Kid has established a residence separate from ours. I value that connection... especially since, sadly, we do not share a love of the Lord. But I cling to Proverbs 22:6,
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
I feel I did the best I could with the knowledge I had when the College Kid and Second Born were children. Prayerfully, one day, each of them will receive grace by faith.

Is There An "Age of Accountability"?

I think I am going to go back to reading SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY: AN INTRODUCTION TO BIBLICAL DOCTRINE by Wayne Grudem. As I have mentioned before, it a meaty read of 57 chapters spanning 1,146 pages. I believe I made it 1/3 of the way through it before I put it down. But it is such a great read!

For example, regarding the "age of accountability" Grudem states,
Some maintain that Scripture teaches an "age of accountability" before which young children are not held responsible for sin and are not counted guilty before God. However, the passages noted...about "inherited sin" indicate that even before birth children have a guilty standing before God and a sinful nature that not only gives them a tendency to sin but also causes God to view them as "sinners". "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me" (Ps. 51:5). (Grudem, Wayne. SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY: AN INTRODUCTION TO BIBLICAL DOCTRINE. Zondervan. 1994. Pg. 499.)

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;according to your abundant mercyblot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions,and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinnedand done what is evil in your sight,so that you may be justified in your wordsand blameless in your judgment.
(Psalm 51:1-4 ESV)

(Photo Information)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails