Monday, November 12, 2012

The Earth is Full of the Steadfast Love of the Lord

If I am honest, I will tell you I stalled. I was in no hurry to get there. Sure, I figured it was going to be a fine time...but I was dragging my feet.

"Come on, mom! You said we would leave no later than 10:00!"

They were right. That's what I said, alright. But now it was 10:02 and I was not even cleaned up and ready to go. We did not pull out of the driveway until 11:15. Three stops along the way and we did not arrive until 2:30. Three more hours until sunset. No worries. The Little Leaguer could get in some riding time.

The forecast was not on the bright side...not at all. Low temperatures and rain...a bad combination had we been planning to tent camp. Not this year, thankfully. We were bringing the 80's Dancing Queen! This was way more fun than tent camping! Oh man, to know what I had been missing. And all these years I thought pitching a tent was grand!

As we were driving up on the place a grimacing cloud loomed dumping precipitation on a targeted area.

"I hope that's not where we are heading," I mused out loud.

We had missed the down pour and pulled up to a saturated campsite, but all was bright and cheerful. The generator hummed dependably, leaves rustled gently, and stinky dirt bikes whined loudly. Hubs and the Little Leaguer were in hog heaven! The Little Chef and I were, more or less, just along for the ride. Three days of fresh air and sunshine lovin', no bathing dirty smellin', grit in your teeth mud flingin', good time.

We settled in, nicely...all of us, having brought each and every one of our critters down to the lizard (a bearded dragon named, Simon). This was not a three compartment tent. This was the Dancing Queen...26 feet of 80's Winnebago goodness complete with hot water, shower (sort of), toilet, oven, stove, and beds...no pesky air mattresses that go flat in the dead of the night---especially when one is six months big expecting baby (not that I am now, but I did go tent camping on a field trip with the College Kid when I was)---or running to the community outhouse in the early a.m., way before dawn, sporting pajama pants and clutching a winter coat while coyotes whine their eerie call in the distance. Nope! Not this time!

The nights were relatively cold...downright FREEZING to me! Without hook up we were at the mercy of our generator (until it ran out of gas or we were instructed to turn it off, whichever came first). I piled blankets onto the bunk beds for the kiddos. The pug snuggled with one of us, the boxer roughed it on the cold floor (the 1st night and slept with me the second), and the beardie---well, from what I understand the temperatures in the desert are pretty intense, some are crazy hot during the day and (though I could be mistaken) quite a bit nippy after sunset. ---I was a little concerned about the beardie and admittedly wrapped a few blankets around her habitat hoping that would help. But she made it through the the wintry twilight, seemingly without a hitch.

All in all, it was a not too shabby weekend! During the day on Saturday there was a bit of a lull (during which the young bloods were complaining of being bored) but was a writer's dream...peace and quiet, with only the sound of the rain (and hail) on the roof of the R.V. (recreational vehicle). On a whole, it was lovely. Further, by the end of it all, the Little Chef was riding comfortably on my quad (ATV). Being way more conservative than the Little Leaguer, the Little Chef had to work up to trying it.

For the word of the Lord is upright,
and all his work is done in faithfulness.

He loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.
(Psalm 33:4-5. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails