Tuesday, January 01, 2013

God in Everyday Words

When each child in my household was younger, it was easy monitoring and regulating the music to which they listened and the shows/movies they watched. As they get older it becomes increasingly more difficult. (The older ones are now 21 and 18, so my teaching time with them is over but there is still much time with the Little Chef and Little Leaguer.) "The Hokey Pokey" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider" have given way to contemporary Christian and top 40 selections. I find myself looking up the lyrics to new songs with which I am not familiar and searching the Internet for the "clean" version of some of those. Really? Artists can't keep it "clean" in general? (If an appropriate rendition cannot be located, they don't get to listen to it...when they are with me.)

I am reminded of the book EVERYDAY TALK by John A. Younts. The concept being (as I understand it), our children are listening attentively to everything we say so we should chose our words carefully and biblically! "Stupid rain" is given as an example in the first chapter. The words illustrating discontentment rather than thankfulness for all God provides. The rain is a blessing upon the ground and quenches the thirst of the soil and plants...not an inconvenience because it messes up plans.

I feel the images they view, lyrics they take in, and books they devour are more important than I can imagine. They are filling those sponge like, impressionable, brains of theirs with the things of this world. What seeds are being planted in their hearts?

A quote by Timothy Keller comes to mind. He stated,
So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe, but more loved and accepted in Christ than we ever dared hope — at the very same time.

I want my everyday words to glorify God and point my children to Christ Jesus! I desire the songs to which they listen to be of praise and worship, not mind numbing, offensive chow chow they regurgitate time and again. Yes, the beats are catchy and I have even caught myself reciting a line or two of foolishness...it's tempting but empty!

If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. (John 15:19 ESV)

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:9-14 ESV)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails