Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The God of Fear

And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground. (Luke 22:41-44 ESV)

Each day has been pretty chilly around here. Being a FL girl (born and raised), I generally shy away from the cold. The bitter winter mornings also tend to bring with them fog so thick one feels like he/she just stepped into a Stephen King novel. Barely being able to see a couple feet in front of my vehicle causes some pretty tricky challenges maneuvering around the other motorists.

It's no wonder I have not been overly keen on venturing to our old house to finish transporting items to the new one. But this is not what causes me discomfort. Right before Christmas there was a rash of home invasions and armed robberies in the little community where we were living. We sighed a breath of relief when we got the heck out of dodge and moved into our current home. But, I have to be honest, there is a ripple of fear that creeps up my spine each time I return to the former residence...especially if it is dark (which normally I do not do). I have the Little Chef and Little Leaguer wait for me at the front door as I make my way through the place checking each room, behind doors, in the showers, and around blind corners.

God, the word made flesh, knows the sensation of "agony". And, though mine is nowhere remotely close to what He felt (I do not sweat blood! Rather, it is more on the level of right after a fender bender or traffic ticket.), I have comfort in the fact He understands. I have been told, "The bible says not to fear man." Okay, well, tell that to my body as my heart rate goes up and my hands begin to tremble. I cannot completely control the physical effects. Further, I believe it is wise to be scared/leery sometimes. When David found out King Saul wanted to kill him, David did not stick around to "face his fears", this mighty man of God booked it out of there and hid until God delivered Saul to him, TWICE. (David could have killed the king, both times, but did not and Saul's heart softened.)

In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. (Hebrews 5:7, 8 ESV)

Likewise, God hears us when we call out to Him...no matter how the flesh stings! He experienced the flesh!

I am the Lord, and there is no other,besides me there is no God;I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sunand from the west, that there is none besides me;I am the Lord, and there is no other. (Isaiah 45:5, 6 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails